Sunday, May 03, 2009

Can't quite wrap my brain around this ...

*** Warning: This post contains material that may be objectionable to some ***

So I am reading the News, and am shocked by this story about a 20 yr old man that has been jailed for sexually abusing his dog. Now, please let me explain my shock. Sadly, it's not that such a young man is involved in bestiality, that's becoming more and more common-place, but what shocks me is that this man is being held on $1.5 million dollars bail! YES that is $1.5 MILLION!

Now, let me explain why that shocks me.

Here is a Mom that is arrested for DUII WITH her children in the car, and as of today, she is NOT listed as an inmate in the Clackamas County Jail, which means she was able to bond out. My guess is that her bail was NOT even close to $1.5 million dollars.

This is how a typical DUII penalty works:

What type of penalties might I face if I am convicted of an Oregon DUII charge?

As noted above, a DUI in Oregon is usually a Class A misdemeanor crime. Upon conviction, a defendant can receive a variety of penalties including:

probation (either formal probation, court aka bench probation, or enhanced bench probation);

jail time (ranging from two days to up to one year) for a misdemeanor DUI and prison time (typically 13 to 60 months) for a felony DUI;

a license suspension / revocation of either one year, three years, or lifetime;

a fine generally ranging from $1,000 to $6,250;

additional fees of $130 + $97 +$66;

an alcohol / drug evaluation ($150) plus treatment (costs vary);

attendance at a victims impact treatment session (this session, commonly known as a "victims panel" costs $50 or less).

If you enter and successfully complete the DUII diversion program you will not face most of these penalties (see below). If you are convicted of a felony DUII, you will likely go to prison for one to five years.


Quoted from Oregon's DUI Guide

Ok, DUII that endangers the life of her children, roughly $10,000 if convicted, screwing your dog, $1.5 million dollar bail ???

Here is another one getting press today. No mention of arrests or bail yet, I will be following it, but I can't imagine the amount being that high.

Excuse my blow up here, but WTF???
blog comments powered by Disqus